4A Emerging Writer’s Program – 2017 call for applications
Applications are open now for the 4A Emerging Writer’s Program.
DEADLINE: Friday 30 June 2017
TRAVEL DATES: September 2017
Following the inaugural offering in 2016, 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art is pleased to announce the 4A Emerging Writer’s Program that will support an emerging Australian writer to travel to the Pacific in September 2017 to realise two publication outcomes.
The 4A Emerging Writer’s Program is open to Australian students currently undertaking a degree at honours or postgraduate level in art, history or related fields of study at an Australian tertiary institution. This program will be rigorous and is specifically designed for tertiary students with a keen interest in fieldwork research in art and culture, and someone who can demonstrate a flair and passion for writing.
The selected writer will undertake a one-week research trip to a Pacific nation in September 2017. Facilitated by 4A and its networks, the writer will be asked to conceive and deliver two writing outcomes for publication in 4A Papers and Program supporter Art Monthly Australasia. This may include a critical essay, historical research, interview, review, profile, or feature with accompanying online audio-visual content.
The writer will be supported by the team at 4A and in particular by Pedro de Almeida, Editor, 4A Papers and Michael Fitzgerald, Editor, Art Monthly Australasia.
The 4A Emerging Writer’s Program has been developed as part of 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art’s broader professional development program for early career arts professionals. Together with the annual 4A Beijing Studio Program and the biannual 4A Curators’ Intensive, the 4A Emerging Writer’s Program supports emerging Australian talent to work within the Asia-Pacific region.
Applications open: Monday 3 April 2017
Applications close: Friday 30 June 2017 (5.00pm)
Samoa travel dates: September 2017
(exact dates of one-week itinerary to be determined in consultation with 4A).
The selected writer must be:
- Over the age of 18 years.
- An Australian citizen or permanent resident who is enrolled in a degree at honours or postgraduate level in art, history or related fields of study at an Australian tertiary institution at the time of application.
- The definition of “emerging” is a writer who has not previously published more than 12 texts in any subject, in print or online (blogs or self-published platforms excluded).
4A will provide the selected writer with:
- Return airfare from the recipient’s nearest state capital city to chosen Pacific nation.
- Accommodation, per diems and travel insurance for the period of the trip.
- An honourarium.
To apply, submit a single PDF document including:
- A Cover Page with your name, address, phone number, email address and evidence of current tertiary enrolment (student ID card or similar).
- A Letter of Intent addressing your interest in participating in the Program, articulating your specific area of interest in the Pacific and which nation you propose to travel to; how it will be beneficial to you; and how it will contribute to the development of your research and writing practice. Maximum one page.
- A Statement that outlines your current writing or research focuses and interests. Maximum one page.
- A CV illustrating relevant study and work experience, previously published texts, personal projects and achievements. Maximum one page.
- A Writing Sample of up to 1,000 words (this can be unpublished and preferably in a professional writing style rather than academic in tone).
- A Proposed Collection of Writings that you would produce as part of this project. Maximum one page.
- Shortlisted writers will be asked to provide evidence of Australian permanent residency status, current enrolment at honours or postgraduate level at an Australian tertiary institution, and date of birth.
Applications should be submitted via email, post or in person to:
Pedro de Almeida
Program Manager / Editor, 4A Papers
4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art
In person: 181-187 Hay Street, Haymarket, NSW 2000
Post: PO Box K1312, Haymarket NSW 1240
Applications are now open and close 5.00PM Friday 30 June 2017.
Applications will be assessed by a panel and the selected writer notified within two weeks following the submission deadline.
If you have any questions in relation to the program or how to apply please contact Pedro de Almeida on (02) 9212 0380 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The 4A Emerging Writer’s Program is supported by Art Monthly Australasia.
Image: Observation Society from the street during the install of Sea Pearl White Cloud, part of the 2016 4A Emerging Writers Program, May 2016. Photo: Pedro de Almeida.
Over two weeks spanning late May and early June 2016, Minerva Inwald, 4A’s 2016 Emerging Writers Program participant, traveled to Guangzhou, China, to experience the lead up to Sea Pearl White Cloud 海珠白雲, a collaborative two-stage exhibition project produced by 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art and local independent contemporary art space, Observation Society, that saw presentations in Guangzhou and Sydney. Sea Pearl White Cloud presented new works by Australian artist Lucas Ihlein and Hong Kong-based artist Trevor Yeung that are informed by questions of temporality, exchange and poetics while reflecting on the urban condition in the twenty-first century. Read her piece for the 4A Papers here.