Find Us & Visitor Information
Tue — Fri
11:00 — 17:00
Thursday Nights open until 20:00
Sat — Sun
11:00 – 16:00
Closed Public Holidays
4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art
181 – 187 Hay Street
Haymarket, Sydney NSW 2000
PO Box K1312
Haymarket, Sydney NSW 1240
T +61 2 9212 0380
4A is located on Hay Street, between Pitt and George St, behind The Capitol Theatre.
The gallery is easily accessible by public transport.
Central Station is a 5 minute walk and is serviced by all major train lines in Sydney
Buses run frequently to and from the following stops. For more information and to plan your journey see https://transportnsw.info/trip#/
412, 413, 422, 423, 426, 428, L23, L28
412, 413, 422, 423, 426, 428, 431, 433, 436, 438, 440, 461, 470, 480, 483, 501, L23, L28, L38, L39, M10, M40
338, 339, 372, 374, 376, 391, 393, 395, M10, X93
The Capitol Square stop is directly outside the gallery on Hay Street
A number of secure parking stations are within walking distance to the gallery:
Capitol Square Carpark – Campbell Street
Market City Parking – 2 Quay Street
Goulburn Street Parking – corner Elizabeth and Goulburn Street
If you are an artist and would like to send information about your practice, we are happy to hear from you. Our program is a curated program driven by our curatorial research. We do not have a formal application or submission process. If you choose to send us material, please do so with an understanding of the mission of our organisation and with some knowledge of our program.
Do not send original material. Please note that any submitted material will not be returned.
For all media enquiries, please contact:
Robert Henningham, Marketing & Programs Coordinator
Current visitor information
From July 9, 2020 4A is delighted to welcome you back to our gallery, with some additional regulations in place. Please read the following information before you visit.
4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art values your safety above all else and has identified the protective measures required for a sustainably safe public space and workplace. 4A has implemented a series of identifiable actions to enhance health and hygiene measures already in place. 4A is following strict NSW Government guidelines to keep all of our visitors and staff safe.
By utilising safe hygiene practices based on expert health advice, 4A is taking a number of actions to make sure that we minimise possible contact or spread of COVID-19 and we ask for your kind cooperation with and awareness of these actions in your visit.
What you need to know before visiting
Reopening date: July 9, 2020
Opening hours: Tuesday – Friday, 11.00 am – 5.00 pm
Thursday Nights open until 8.00 pm
Saturday – Sunday, 11.00 am – 4.00 pm
Closed on public holidays
Where do I enter the gallery?
Please enter through 4A’s atrium (the green doorway) at 181 — 187 Hay Street, and exit through the same doorway.
Do I need to book in advance?
Entry is free and unticketed. However, in line with safe social distancing rules, there is a maximum of 8 visitors allowed within the gallery space at one time.
4A staff will be carefully monitoring numbers of visitors. Please ring the downstairs doorbell and wait for a Front of House attendant to allow entry.
A pen-and-paper sign-in system at the gallery’s atrium will be prepared for visitors before entering the space.
What is open?
From 9 July, visitors will be able to view the new exhibition Holding Patterns which is being presented in the downstairs gallery at 4A (Gallery 1) from July 9. 2020.
Holding Patterns is open at 4A with adjusted operations to assist with COVID-19 safety. Under these adjustments, 4A will operate a pen-and-paper sign-in system, recording the names, mobile numbers and/or email addresses of all staff, volunteers, visitors and contractors for a period of at least 28 days. All information will be stored confidentially and securely.
What has closed or has limited capacity?
While 4A is opening from July 9, the upstairs gallery exhibition space will initally remain closed to visitors with program announcements forthcoming.
What we are doing for you – our safety processes and protocols
Please assist 4A in keeping yourself and fellow gallery attendees safe by taking a moment to read through our COVID-19 safety measures below:
- Single entry and exit through the 4A gallery atrium (the green doorway) at 181 — 187 Hay Street.
- Occupied space within the 4A space has a maximum capacity of 1 person per 4 square metres – please follow staff instructions.
- The downstairs gallery has a maximum capacity of 8 people.
- The gallery lifts have a maximum capacity of 1 person at a time
- The bathrooms have a maximum capacity of 1 person at a time
- Enhanced daily cleaning regimes will be carried out, including sanitization every 3 hours of frequently-used spaces with disinfectant.
- 4A will ensure adequate handwashing facilities and sanitiser is available.
- 4A will have prepared signage at the gallery’s atrium providing parameters around the visitor time limits in the gallery space.
- 4A will also only be utilising contact-free payments for all donations and merchandise. Visitors will be required to use hand sanitiser before touching any merchandise or, alternatively, Front of House staff will offer to individually show the books and other merchandise to visitors.
- There will be no paper roomsheets.
- 4A will continue to follow the NSW Government health guidelines and will update our procedures as necessary.
What you can do for us – preparations for your health and safety
- Please don’t visit the 4A gallery if you feel unwell, if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, including fever or sore throat in the last 14 days, or if you have returned from overseas in the last 14 days.
- Please keep at least 1.5 metres from others.
- Observe lift limits – use the stairs if you can.
- Bring a credit or debit card for purchases from the 4A shop
- Please make use of the hand-sanitiser provided at the gallery’s atrium and wash your hands with soap in our bathrooms
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow or a tissue
- Please dispose of used personal items in a bin. 4A attendees will direct you to utilise the City of Sydney bins both on the street and across the road in Capitol Square, if needed
- During your visit, you might be asked to wait or come back later, if necessary. We thank you in advance for your kind cooperation, awareness and patience.
Visitors who do not comply with these conditions will not be admitted to our gallery, or will be asked to leave 4A in the interests of the safety of all visitors and staff.